Saturday, August 10, 2013

Part II

I have had a busy few weeks since my last post recuperating at home and preparing for my transplant.  Thank you to my friends and family for your support during that time.

Part II of my treatment has begun.  I visited Brigham and Women's Hospital yesterday to get a new PICC line for my upcoming treatment.  I will be admitted to the hospital later tonight and undergo a few days of chemotherapy before my stem cell transplant on Friday, August 16.  Because we don't have to be to the hospital until 6:00 p.m., Dick and I have enjoyed a wonderful day in Boston.  We have walked around Beacon Hill and the Back Bay and even enjoyed an old favorite- a ride on the Swan Boats!

As I mentioned in an earlier post, Dana Farber found a perfect match for me!  I have recently learned that my anonymous donor is a 24 year old man.  That is all that the donor program will tell me, but I was allowed to write him a thank you note, without providing any specifics about my identity.  As one of my children said, I just hope he can read my handwriting!  It is hard to describe the feelings of gratitude toward this unknown person, who is willing to interrupt his life and undergo a medical procedure in the hopes of saving mine.  My family and I are forever grateful.

I will be in the hospital for a week or more and then staying in Boston for another week or more for following up tests.  I will keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment